Tulacz by ALMANAK

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Way to Battambang (Thailand to Cambodia)

2013 December, The Long Trip - From Thailand to Cambodia

I arrived at Bangkok in the late afternoon. My hostel was near the train station Hua Lam Phong, from where I had a train to the border the following day at 05:55 am. It cost 48 THB (1,1e) for almost 300 km. It was a wooden train, the first car had wooden seats too. The next one was better, with soft benches. In my car I met a couple from Poland and guy from Hungary. On the train there were more foreigners:-)  Near the station is 7 eleven shop as it's good to have some snacks during the trip. The train was due to arrive at 11:55 at Aranyaprathet which is 6 km to the border town of Poi Pet. Mine had more than 2 hours delay.


Platform no. 6


On the train


During the trip :-)


On the way


Before the train stopped tuk tuk drivers started shouting out their good prices and tried to find a customer. 
From Aranyaprathet to Poipet a tuk tuk cost 100 THB (2,5e) for 3 people. The driver took us to the agency, where they tried to convince us to fill the form and pay 1200 THB (40e) for visa to enter Cambodia. The visa costs 20USD! We told the driver that we will not pay him until we are at Thai border. He understood and took as 300m to the border crossing. We saw some old people at the agency paying for the ride and we told them that this is not a border and they did the same as we did. The easiest option is to tell the driver that you already have had e-visa. In that case he will take you to the border without stopping at the agency!
The Thai border was easy to pass and we walked to the building with Cambodian visa office. 


Thai border building - here you should stop


Crossing the border

Cambodian border


The visa costs 20 USD, nothing more. It's better to have 20 USD note as I heard that they won't give any change back. They asked for 100 THB (2,5e) extra. If you say you don't have it they will ask you to wait and once all people are served they will stamp you passport. I waited 5 minutes because I paid nothing extra. It's important to have a passport size photo, they have forms to fill in there.
After all procedures, an immigration officer stamped my passport and I was free to go to Cambodia:-)
Outside the immigration building there is a bus stop with FREE shuttle bus to 2 bus terminals. We tried to avoid taking it as fares from those terminals for tourists they are 250% higher than for locals. We told the guy that we stay in Poipet overnight and we went out. The Polish couple with the Hungarian man took a taxi to Siem Reap for 20 USD and I decided to walk and find transport to Battambang.
I made a mistake and asked for a price for a bus. The price was 250 THB (6e). I had almost 2 hours till the bus departure so I told the guy that I would think about it and he started convincing me that this was the cheapest price, that the taxi cost much more, and so on. I walked away but he was following me or walking in front of me talking to whoever tried to offer me a ride, he kept disturbing the conversation  :-)
I saw many local people waiting for probably a local transport but I didn't ask them.
I started walking faster and when I was far away from this guy, a minivan stopped. The price was 400 THB (10e). We agreed to pay 200 THB (5e). The guy from the bus wasn't happy and tried to convince me not take this one:-).
It took me 2 hours to Battambang and the driver took local people on the way. 
I showed him that I stay at Here The Dragons and he drove me there.
This is the whole story about this border:-) 


Poipet

Petrol

Petrol station


Near this building locals waited for busses

Local transport


Road to Battambang


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Flightdiary.net profile

Popular Posts