Tulacz by ALMANAK

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

2013 Long Trip Hot Springs New Zealand Kiwi house

Long Trip – Day 5 Te Puia Springs September 2013

Kawhia is a small, laid back town on the west coast with black sand beaches. According to the map and a guidebook one can found comfort in hot springs on the beach. It’s just enough to dig a hole in the sand and enjoy hot thermal water as depicted and described in the brochures. I found the city and the Ocean Beach. Although, I dig a big hole on the beach, I couldn’t find any hot springs. Tourist information in the city was open from 11 am, I was there earlier. It was time for me to move on.
The next stop was Otorohanga to see a kiwi house. The road from Kawhia to Otorohanga is spectacular and picturesque but very winding. I passed there both at night and during the day. I found speed limits funny - 100km/ha - not reachable for my driving skills :-)
Entrance ticket to the Kiwi House costs 20 NZ$ and every day at 1:30 pm they feed them. They keep different, native species but I was there mostly for kiwis. I check almost all i-SITE centres, they provide brochures with a lot of discounts to different places from 10% to 2 for 1 tickets.
After my meeting with kiwi I took the road 4. In Taumaruni is a small Maori meeting house. Following the road no 4 towards the National Park you will get to Piriaka. Around 3km further I turned left to Kakahi. This is a must see place for those who love glow worms and don’t want to pay for it and/or hate caves. It gets dark after 7 pm. In the village of Kakahi I followed the main road until I got to the Te Rena Road. On a junction with Tio Street I turned right and drove around 3km straight keeping to the  right all the time. At the end I found a natural tunnel with a parking place at the end. I walked back few minutes with a torch, I turned it off and saw a lot of glow worms on both sides of the tunnel.

Coordinates:   38°56'20"S   175°24'20"E

I spent the night at the rest area near the national park it was my risk. Please always take your rubbish with you when you stay anywhere. 



:-)

I've tried to use a hot termal water 



 Kiwi in Otorohanga



Te Kuiti

  Te Kuiti Meeting house


Kakahi tunnels with warms

Kakahi Glow warms

Kakahi Glow warms

Kakahi Glow warms


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Flightdiary.net profile

Popular Posts